Classical Text Study Circle - Tier 1
In this circle we will be covering foundational study texts in the Islamic tradition. The goal of this program is to:
- Study beginner texts to begin the path of learning in the Islamic tradition
- Develop an appreciation for our intellectual tradition, its importance and relevance today
- Attain a comprehensive understanding of the foundations of Sunni Islamic thought
- Prepare for more advanced learning and the ability to independently read and research in the tradition
- Practice Arabic and traditional text reading skills
Imam ibn Hajr al-Haytami’s explanation of Imam al-Nawawi’s collection of 40 hadith. This is a brilliant & underappreciated explanation in the English language of a small but powerful collection of Prophetic hadith on the most important principles of the Islamic faith.
Imam al-Akhdari’s classic Arabic logic text studied all over the Muslim world in seminaries, universities and institutions. Discussion on contemporary understandings of logic will be included.
A simple yet thorough introduction to Sunni orthodox creed. The reading will be focused on recognizing Orthodoxy & its importance. As a result, some attention will be given to Athari, Ash’ari and Maturidi differences.
Imam al-Juwayni’s introductory text in how scholars would interpret the Qur’an & Sunnah. I will be using my own explanation of the text, and discuss inter-madhhab differences and modern approaches to the subject.
Imam al-Dhahabi’s classic primer to the hadith sciences. The goal will be to develop a deep appreciation of the magnificent edifice that is hadith scholarship and literature. We will also be going over pages from Sh. Hatim al-Awni’s textbook on takhrīj.
Imam al-Ma’baris primer in Islamic Spirituality. We will be extrapolating the text using Risalah-Qushayriyyah and other sources.
An introductory but comprehensive text in Shafii fiqh. Depending on student level, the text may be swapped out for Al-Muqaddimah al-Hadhramiyah.
Summary & Fees
Course fees: $79.99/month (CAD)